Spiritual Testament of Miyamoto Musashi (in .pdf)
I acknowledge two versions of the testament he left to us as “The Only True Way” in 21 maxims:
1. Do not turn your back on the various Ways of this world.
2. Do not scheme for physical pleasure.
3. Do not intend to rely on anything.
4. Consider yourself lightly; consider the world deeply.
5. Do not ever think in acquisitive terms.
6. Do not regret things about your own personal life.
7. Do not envy another’s good or evil.
8. Do not lament parting on any road whatsoever.
9. Do not complain or feel bitterly about yourself or others.
10. Have no heart for approaching the path of love.
11. Do not have preferences.
12. Do not harbor hopes for your own personal home.
13. Do not have a liking for delicious food for yourself.
14. Do not carry antiques handed down from generation to generation.
15. Do not fast so that it affects you physically.
16. While it’s different with military equipment, do not be fond of material things.
17. While on the Way, do not begrudge death.
18. Do not be intent on possessing valuables or a fief in old age.
19. Respect the gods and Buddhas, but do not depend on them.
20. Though you give up your life, do not give up your honor.
21. Never depart from the Way of the Martial Arts.
The second version:
1. Do not go against the unchanging way of all time.
2. Do not look for the pleasures of the flesh.
3. Be impartial in all.
4. Kill greed in yourself.
5. Do nothing to regret.
6. Do not feel self-doubt.
7. Do not be jealous of any other good or bad.
8. Do not feel sad at parting.
9. Do not feel hostility or animosity toward yourself or others.
10. Do not have romantic inclinations.
11. Nothing to give preference.
12. Never look to comfortable yourself.
13. Do not look for ways to please yourself.
14. Never hold precious things.
15. Do not succumb to false beliefs.
16. Never get involved in any subject, except weapons.
17. To devote yourself to the true path.
18. Don’t know the fear of death.
19. Even in old age have no desire to own or use something.
20. Worship Buddhas and spirits, but not hope on them.
21. Never deviate from the true Way of martial arts.
Original post at: